With temperatures falling rapidly and a distinct chill creeping into the air, longer hemlines are ideal for beating the cold while still looking chic. Midi skirts are a particularly good winter style if you don’t fancy layering up with tights because, let’s face it, the corned beef leg look is nobody’s friend.
Sartorially speaking, the pleated midi skirt is bang on the money. Around for a few seasons now, it’s not likely to be going anywhere soon. In everything from metallics and velvet to rainbow bright prints, the pleated midi is a massively versatile wardrobe staple.
My personal favourite way to style a pleated midi is with an oversized knit. It’s a feminine and edgy yet effortless look that is easier to create and wear than you might think. I know many of you may be wary of layering an oversized sweater over a loose skirt for fear that it may make you look bulky or shapeless. BUT with some clever styling tips, it’s a look that everyone can pull off.
- It’s all about balance – Taller ladies can get away with wearing their pleated midi/ oversize sweater combos with flats, trainers or heels. However, if you are more petite then add some height to your look to avoid it swallowing you up. Because they are sleek and fitted to the leg, stilleto heel sock boots are perfect. For an edgier vibe, pair your girlie skirt with a pair of tougher biker boots.
- Hemline length and pleat style are important. If you’re petite opt for shorter length skirts that sit at calf length, while taller ladies can get away with longer lengths. Pear-shapes should avoid box pleats and look for styles with smaller, narrower pleats.
- Go big or go home! When it comes to your sweater, my advice is go big. For ultimate cool factor look for oversize sleeves and longer line sweater styles to wear, un-tucked over your skirt.
- Avoid head to toe print. The beauty of this look is it’s effortless simplicity. If you are going for a printed skirt then keep everything else to block colours. While one colour in different shades and fabrics can look incredibly chic. For example a metallic silver skirt with a grey knit and charcoal boots.
- If a fear of looking shapeless is holding you back, the stylists favourite “half tuck” is your go-to. Tuck in a small part of the sweater into the waistband of the skirt. Not only will it define your waist but it will also look effortlessly cool in a street style sorta way.
Not only have I given you all the tips and tricks to pull off the look yourself, I’ve also rounded up my top pleated skirts and sweaters in case you’re in need of some shopping inspo!